Back-to-School season has hit, which means that soon enough, the days will grow shorter, the summer heat will lessen, and the leaves will start changes, shifting from the carefree dog days of summer to the cozy chill of autumn. But this doesn’t mean that you have to give up your summer fun just yet!
Here are 5 local activities that are the perfect way to end the season with some memory-making merriment:
1. Cool off at Sherando Lake. Whether your preference is swimming, hiking, fishing, canoeing, or just lounging on a lakeside beach, Sherando Lake is the perfect place to do all of these things.
2. Explore the “after hours” beauty of Monticello. Your Monticello Sunset Pass will grant you access to Thomas Jefferson’s vistas, gardens, rooms, and more, giving you a behind-the-scenes glimpse of places you won’t normally see during regular tours.
3. Sip your way through the Brew Ridge Trail or the Shenandoah Beerwerks Trail. You can’t really go wrong with either of these trails! With award-winning brews, beautiful scenery, and mouthwatering food, these beer-based trails are perfect for brewery-lovers and foodies alike.
4. Take in a Summer Concert Series at the Frontier Culture Museum. Our local living history museum hosts some fun events, and this summer, many people have enjoyed their outdoor concert series. American Roots Music still has three concert dates left, August 14, August 21, and August 28, so take advantage of this event, complete with wine tasting and food vendors!
5. Explore the Virginia scenery with Rebel’s Run at Afton Mountain. Have you ever taken a horseback ride to a winery? Now’s your chance! Rebel’s Run offers a number of trail ride tours, our favorite of which is the vineyard tour, where you can experience wine tasting, wonderful woods and creeks, and an amazing panorama view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
We can’t wait to finish out summer and usher in in autumn with you! Click here to book your room, cottage, or cabin here at the Iris Inn!