“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” ― Edith Sitwell
During the cold, winter months, it’s tempting to hole up indoors and wait out the frigid weather. But really, winter doesn’t mean you have to hide away and hibernate; it just means that you have to slip on a few more warm layers of clothing before heading out on your excursions. Furthermore, activities in and around the Shenandoah Valley don’t stop because of a little snow, so if you’re wanting a winter adventure, check out these fun options:
- Go ice-skating. Wintergreen Resort offers this enjoyable winter activity, so lace up a pair of skates (which they provide if you don’t have your own), and slide out into the arena.
- Go snow tubing. Slide your way down the slopes of Wintergreen and Massanutten, ending in a pile of laughter and snow.
- Go skiing. If you’d like an activity that’s a bit more challenging than snow tubing, then how about some skiing? Both Wintergreen and Massanutten offer these activities as well.
- Create a glass ornament. Sunspots Studio in Staunton, VA allows you to blow your very own glass ornament, creating a beautifully unique gift or keepsake.
- Enjoy a Winter Lantern Tour at the Frontier Culture Museum. “Visitors will enjoy vignettes at England, Ireland, Germany, 1820s America, and 1850s America including a Mummer’s play near the Irish Forge and a horse-drawn wagon ride from the Old World to the New World.”
Book your suite, cottage, or cabin at the Iris Inn, and enjoy the upcoming winter season!